F-16C for Flight Dynamix and Consumer Version for X-Plane
The F-16C now has been delivered to the customer, Flight Dynamix, who uses it as part of a complete F-16 cockpit simulator.
For more information on the Flight Dynamix F-16 cockpit system, see their web site here:
To complete the consumer version, I need to build a virtual cockpit and model the displays. The F-16 will come in two versions:
- Pro Version - This will
consist of the F-16, HUD which runs on one monitor, and the Flight
Dynamix MFD Display software which runs on a 2nd monitor. It won't have
combat capability built into the Flight Dynamix software as a lot of
that is sensitive. It will sell for about $60.
- Consumer Version - This will
consist of the F-16, HUD, and virtual cockpit with simplified MFD
displays. The MFD displays will still include air and ground radar,
navigation, weapon configuration, and systems status screens, enough to
support combat capabilities. This will sell for about $30.
When building the F-16, I used videos to tune the aircraft performance.
It's not hard to build a plane that can fly at level speeds comparable
to performance charts but getting the dynamic performance correct is
much more difficult. I have one really good DVD taken from an F-16 HUD
during a demo at the Paris Air Show. I modified the engine performance,
airfoils, drag (adjusted dynamically depending on G load, altitude,
airspeed) so that I could fly the Paris routine with the speeds being
accurate throughout. It's definitely my best aircraft so far and the
real F-16 pilots are quite pleased with the flight model.
- Built-in Fly-by-Wire system with auto flap control
- Accurate flight model - the
plugin tunes engine thrust and drag coefficient dynamically so you get
correct sustained turn rates as well as accurate landing speeds, AOA
values, and stall speeds
- Advanced air-to-air HUD with several missile and gun modes.
- Air-to-ground HUD with HARM missile mode and CCIP/CCRP bombing modes
- Navigation, ILS, and terrain avoidance HUD modes
- Custom KC-10 with realistic refueling functions.
- Advanced sound engine with
realistic external and internal sounds. Fly by the tower at M1.0 and
you'll hear a sonic boom. I'm very happy with these new sound effects.
The plane sounds quite real in external views, much more so than
X-Plane currently supports.
- Will work with my new X-Combat plugin... see separate thread on that in the plugins forum.
- Custom loadout menu so you can select a variety of weapons not just in the default X-Plane configuration.
- Several paint schemes with normal maps and nice external and internal lighting
- Custom engine module to give
accurate accelerations, takeoff speeds, climb rates, turn rates, and
correct supersonic acceleration and level speed numbers
- Custom engine, fuel, electrical and hydraulic systems with support for the EPU
- Emergency failure selection window lets you fail specific systems at various altitudes, times, speeds, or randomly
- Battle damage - various parts of the plane can become damaged by SAMs with visual damage displayed
- Detailed systems manual with performance charts.
Here are some screenshots showing the F-16: